The original name of the organization was Lorain County Association of Township Trustees and Clerks. On December 15, 2005 its present name was adopted unanimously.
Archie McDowell, Henrietta Township, represented the LCCAT&C at the organization of the Ohio Township Association in June of 1928.
Township government is the oldest form of government in the State of Ohio predating even the State government itself. All land grants, except the Virginia Military Lands, were surveyed into Townships either five or six miles square. As the Ohio Territory became populated, it was natural that the surveyed Townships should become the basic unit of local government. Today, just as in 1804, the Township in Ohio is a political subdivision of the state, as such, it has only those powers granted to it by the state legislature, and performs the functions as directed by the state.
Township government is the grassroots of the community. Because of Township officials' intimate knowledge of the community, its needs and its people. Township government offers more personal service, more attention to individual needs and a better understanding of local problems than any other unit of government. It does this at less cost and with a minimum of red tape, because it is closest to those it serves.
"OHIO'S TOWNSHIPS - THE GRASSROOTS OF DEMOCRACY" authored by Guiieau (Professor at Ohio State University) and copyrighted in 1949 lists officers for Lorain County as follows:
President - Clair O. Goss
1st Vice President - John L. Barbor
Secretary/Treasurer - Lee W. Klinect
Executive Committeeman - Bruce Alexander
We record here the names of those who have served as president of the Lorain County Township Association.
Clair 0. Goss
Ed Whitbeck. Sr.
Mary Beth Derikito
Patricia F. Echko
Cemeteries & Resources
[ coming soon ]